Log in

Recent Entries Friends Archive Profile Tags To-Do List

The last picture taken of me pregnant at 39w2d. It was on this day that I lost my mucus plug. I went to L&D but I hadn't dilated so they sent me home. At around 1am Saturday I started having intense contractions about every 10-15 minutes. I waited as long as I could before I went back to the hospital. Around 10 am Saturday my water broke. I waited a little longer but the contractions were literally killing me. We took our time getting everything together and got to the hospital around noon. For some reason, Saturday was THE day for every woman in LA to give birth. We had to wait 30 minutes just to be seen in triage! I waited another 45 minutes for a bed to open up so I could be monitored. I thought it was pretty pointless because I knew I was in labor - but they insisted anyway.

So finally at around 4pm, I get my birthing suite. The room was amazing - hardwood floors, surround sound stereo, beautiful view of Los Angeles. Had I not been in so much pain, I'm sure I would have appreciated it more. My husband loved it - they even had a nice pullout couch for him. By this time, my contractions are about 7-8 minutes apart but I was still only dilated 3-4cm, so they started me on a pitocin drip to speed things up. I was fine at first but then the contractions started coming every minute and were excruciating. I was trying to wait as long as I could before I requested any pain medication but the pitocin made it unbearable. My nurse turned off the drip so I could get a break and by that time I was around 6cm. Not bad. By 8pm I was entering transition and was going CRAZY. The pain was just too much for me so I requested the epidural. But the minute they came to administer it, I started freaking out. All those needles and wires just didn't sit well with me. So I spent a good twenty minutes going back and forth about it. Finally I decided to go ahead with it. I know some people are very against pain meds, but I am so grateful I had it. Not only was I able to relax, I felt much more confident going into the pushing phase. It was like I was reborn.

At around 12:30am [Sunday] I was completely dilated and ready to start pushing. The epidural was wearing off a bit; just enough for me to feel the pushing but not the intensity. I thought it was going to go smoothly [everything else had by that point] but it didn't. Years ago I broke my tailbone in a dance injury and apparently it was preventing her little head from getting up and over my pelvic bone. I'd push and push and her head would slide out and then slide right back in. After an hour of pushing I was getting really nervous. I broke out into a fever which alarmed my doctor. I was so worried he'd rush to do a C-section but he didn't. He gave me as long as I needed and I can never thank him enough for that. So after 2 1/2 hours of pushing and pulling, we were finally able to get her out.

Nyala Renee was born at 2:36am and weighed 5lbs 7oz [18.5 inches long]. I carried real small my entire pregnancy so I wasn't surpised she was so tiny. What did surprise me was the amount of hair she had!

Dr. G, Nurse Jennifer, my husband Matthew, baby Nyala, and a VERY exhausted moi after the delivery. I was actually being sewn up by an intern while this picture was being taken. I didn't really "need" the stitch [it was a real slight tear] but the kid was standing around with nothing to do so....

She has a very expressive face for a newborn. She also eats A LOT. I was a little worried she wouldn't latch because I couldn't nurse her right away because they put me on antibiotics for the fever. But the next morning I worked with a lactation consultant and she picked it up very quickly. Now she can get enough and my breasts feel like they're on fire.

All in all my experience went very well. A little rocky towards the end, but everyone was so wonderful it didn't really matter. At 3 days pp my bleeding has decreased a lot and my muscles are starting to get back to normal. I have some pain where I tore but even that is pretty minimal. The part of me that hurts the most is my anal area. It's a little uncomfortable and I have to brace myself before I sit down. I was terrified when I had my first bowel movement but even that went ok. I'd do it all over again in a second- she's just too precious for words.

Oh yeah, she's DEFINITELY going to be a Daddy's girl....

Good luck for all of you ladies who are still pregnant. I'll definitely be sticking around to offer any advice I can.

Cross posted to pregnant.
Oh my gosh, look at all that hair! She's beautiful. Congratulations!
Thank you. =)
(Deleted comment)
I keep meaning to tell you that I had fibroids too, and Karndilla made it through. It will all be fabulous my dear.
(Deleted comment)
A lot of black women have them, and the medical community (because you know if it doesn't happen to white women it doesn't happen) acts like they're some new thing when we've had them for years. Mine eventually went away (that was...fun) but the whole time the doctors were like "Hmm, not sure what to do here".
(Deleted comment)
they leave the hard way, your body essentially strangles them
Awwwww- thank you so much for the compliments.

I was the same way - I read and read and wanted to know EVERYTHING I could. But in reality, nothing really prepared me for the day. I pretty much went with the flow. I was happy I didn't have some crazy birth plan or all these demands because I could have been really disappointed if things got out of my control.

My mom had fibroids and she delivered me vaginally in six hours. I'm not sure if the length of labor had anything to do with it, but it can be done. And yes, the meds are a god-send. I don't care what anyone says, getting through those last two centimeters would have killed me -especially with the contractions coming every minute or so.

I remember being five months and feeling like I was going to be pregnant forever. Don't worry, that third trimester wil fly by and he/she will be here before you know it.
Beautiful. Congratulations, and don't worry the boob pain does go away.
But WHEN!!! J/K, it's worth it in the end. I just didn't expect to wake up a "D" cup this morning. I've been a 34B since I was 13. =)
In about two weeks the pain will be a mild ache, by the time she's a month you'll start to be comfortable.
I had a c-section in April. I'm normally an "A" cup so when I woke up in the hospital with "D" cups, it was all the motivation I needed to finally get out of bed and walk to the bathroom so I could stare at them. It took me five minutes to get there but it was worth it. Now they're usually a "C" first thing in the morning and "B" most of the day.
Thank you for posting. She is gorgeous. I love that last picture.

That first picture you see she has your big beautiful eyes.

So then, was the pitocin the most painful part?
So then, was the pitocin the most painful part?

Yes and no. I think my first set of contractions were the most painful. It may have been because I wasn't expecting them and kind of panicked instead of trying to breathe and focus on relaxing. Once I got my head right, they hurt a lot less.

If I had to pick a "most painful" part it probably would have been the transition phase [between 8-10cm] right before I got the epidural.
Best wishes!!!
(Deleted comment)
hookup finder, 100% Guaranteed. Go Here welcomemyhomecat.blogspot.com